• Patrimonio1
  • Patrimonio2
  • Patrimonio3
  • Patrimonio4
  • Patrimonio5
  • Home
  • Material Patrimony

Material Patrimony

 The mother church of Ponta Delgada

The mother church of Ponta Delgada

Parish: Ponta Delgada
Building year: 1910
Patron Saint: Good Lord Jesus
Curiosity: The first settler of Ponta Delgada parish was Manuel Afonso de Sanha, from Braga, a city with great devotion to the Good Lord Jesus, which would also be transmitted to this parish. In 1908 a fire destroyed the church and very little remained. An image of Christ Crucified was one of the pieces that was spared, and even today, thousands of pilgrims travel to Ponta Delgada parish on foot to see the image and pay the promises made to the Good Lord Jesus.
 The chapel of Our Lady of Fatima / chapel of Pico da Cova

The chapel of Our Lady of Fatima / chapel of Pico da Cova

Parish: São Vicente
Building year: 1942
Patron Saint: Our Lady of Fatima
Curiosity: This chapel was built as a promise to Our Lady of Fatima, if Portugal did not enter World War II. Soon after the end of the war, its construction began, as well as the raising of funds for the purchase of the watch.
 The mother church of São Vicente

The mother church of São Vicente

Parish: São Vicente
Building year: séc. XV
Patron Saint: Saint Vicente
Curiosity: This was the first church in the north of Madeira Island. Due to many alluviums, earthquakes and other storms, as well as the poor quality of the materials used in its construction, this Church was at risk of collapsing. With the belief of the people and the enthusiasm of the priests Manuel José de Sousa and Alfredo Teodoro de Ponte Lira, it was possible to recover the Church and make it in this beautiful temple.
 The chapel of São Vicente / The chapel of Calhau

The chapel of São Vicente / The chapel of Calhau

Parish: São Vicente
Building year: 1691
Patron Saint: Saint Vicente
Curiosity: According to the legend, a galleon was shipwrecked in the northern seas of the Island and, to the surprise of the people, an image of São Vicente was seen floating. The people took the image to a small chapel that existed in the village, where they venerate it. The image used to disappear from the altar, appearing next to the basaltic rock at the mouth of the river. It was when the people decided to build a hermit where the image of the saint could remain there, safeguarding them from assaults of pirates or privateers.
 The church of Fajã do Penedo

The church of Fajã do Penedo

Parish: Boaventura
Building year : 1918 (old chapel) 1941 (extension of the chapel)
Patron Saint: Immaculate Heart of Mary
Curiosity: This chapel was the first temple in the world to be built in honor of the Immaculate Heart of Mary due to the messenger of the Immaculate Heart, Mother Virginia Brites da Paixão, Superior of the Mercy Convent, to whom a land was donated in Fajã do Penedo by a friend. Even today, the process of beatification of Mother Virginia is still taking place.
 Church of Boaventura

Church of Boaventura

Parish: Boaventura
Building year: 1836
Patron Saint: Saint Quitéria
Curiosity: Before the construction of this Church, the local faithful had to go to the Church of Ponta Delgada, in order to carry out their acts of faith. The distance and the dangerous ways they used made the faithful long for the construction of a Church closer to that population. In 1733 a hermitage was created with the invocation to Santa Quitéria, that later would give origin to this Church.
 Church of Rosário

Church of Rosário

Parish: São Vicente
Building year: 1602
Patron Saint: Nossa Senhora do Rosário
Curiosity: The devotion to Our Lady of the Rosary began in 1572, during the Battle of Lepanto, between Christians and Turks, this because Christians attributed victory to the intervention of the Virgin and her Holy Rosary. From then on, devotion increased until a feast of honor was established in October 1848, which lasts until the present day and takes place on the first Sunday of October, attracting thousands of pilgrims.
 Livramento Chapel

Livramento Chapel

Parish: São Vicente
Building year: 1685
The chapel of Nossa Senhora do Livramento, was built on the place with the same name, was rised in 1685 and is characterized by a simple rectangular plan, with only one nave. Façade in gable with bell in basalt stonework. The portal boasts full arch resting on pilasters and is topped by a cornice.
 Romeiro House

Romeiro House

A 19th century building, located in the main church of Saint Vincent and has very own characteristics such as the windows and doors framed in black stonework, typical of the region.
 Regional Road Ponta Delgada Boaventura

Regional Road Ponta Delgada Boaventura

Parish: Ponta Delgada It is a winding road, excavated by the mountain that besides having a fantastic view is the fastest way, for the most fearless, of crossing between Ponta Delgada and Boaventura.
 Romeiro Plaza

Romeiro Plaza

Local: Ponta Delgada
When is the arraial of Bom Jesus, many Romeiros travel to the parish of Ponta Delgada to express their devotion. In this sense, a plaza was built in honor of this countless devotees.
 Ladrilho House

Ladrilho House

Parish: Ponta Delgada
A great writer from Madeira, narrator of the Madeiran experiences, it was in this house that Horacio Bento Gouveia was born.
 Monument in Honor of the Ultramar Fighters

Monument in Honor of the Ultramar Fighters

Parish: São Vicente
Building year: 2013
This monument was built to honor the military of the county that died in the War of Ultramar, as well as all the Madeirans who fought in the former Portuguese colonies.

bordado

Paços do Município
9240-225 São Vicente
Tel.: +351 291 840 020/9
Fax: +351 291 842 666
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.cm-saovicente.pt

Naturnorte, E.M., S.A.
Sítio do Pé do Passo,
9240-039 São Vicente
Tel.: 291842404
Fax.: 291842684
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.